A little history:
- On March 16, 1916 Charles Webster died, having left a considerable sum of money for the building of The Webster Apartments.
- On June 9, 1916 The Webster Apartments was incorporated; Charles’ brother, Josiah Webster, became the first President.
- In 1917, the Corporation purchased the land where the Apartments now stand.
- During the five years that followed, all construction ceased for the duration of World War I.
- In September 1922 Josiah laid our cornerstone.
- In November 1923 the building was completed and The Webster welcomed our first guests.
Eighteen years later, on Wednesday, December 17, 1941 Josiah Webster dedicated the tablet that still hangs on the wall of our foyer just inside our front doors. He made a very moving speech that day. This is my favorite part:
I suppose there comes to all of us, at times, a feeling of wonder, as to whether in the realms beyond this life, where they now abide, it is possible for the departed to know that which is transpiring in this world which they have left, and I always feel that if such knowledge is theirs and that my dear brother has the knowledge of the blessings which have resulted from his benevolence, that he must be abundantly satisfied with that which has been accomplished here.
We are confident that Charles would be “abundantly satisfied” in 2014 as well.