Founded in 1916, The Webster Apartments is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a focus of fostering the success of professional women in New York City by addressing one of their biggest practical challenges – living accommodations.
Located in the sought-after neighborhood of Hudson Yards in midtown Manhattan, Webster offers safe, affordable, convenient housing for women who are working and interning in NYC.
Our clean, well-furnished building features 376 fully-furnished, private guest rooms with shared restrooms and showers on each floor, a full-service Dining Room, large Reception Hall, Library, and other common areas such as our flourishing back garden and spacious rooftop. Included in our reasonably priced rates, all guests receive 2 home-cooked meals each day, 24-hour security, housekeeping services, social and professional development events, WI-FI and all utilities. This allows our guests to focus on immersing themselves in their careers, meeting new friends and taking advantage of all that the City has to offer.
Over the last 95 years, The Webster Apartments has fulfilled the dream of our founders by making the dream of living and working in New York City possible for tens of thousands of working women from around the world, and, continues to make that dream a reality for hundreds of women every year.
Charles and Josiah Webster, the founders of the Webster Apartments were first cousins of Rowland H. Macy, who came to New York in the late 1800s, to learn the merchandising business under the tutelage of Macy.
Around the turn of the 19th century, Charles B. Webster was the senior partner and held the largest shares of the successful partnership. Rowland H. Macy and the Webster Brothers prospered and when Charles died in 1916 he left virtually his entire estate to found the Webster Apartments “For occupancy by unmarried working women regardless of their religious belief or nationality and wherein they find comfortable and attractive homes”.
Josiah Webster was the first President of the Webster Apartments and when he died, he also left the bulk of his fortune to Webster.
The two brothers conceived, built and initially ran the non profit organization now known as The Webster. Our doors opened on November 15, 1923, and we have been virtually filled to capacity ever since.
“I direct that the said apartments shall not be conducted for profit but solely for the purpose of providing unmarried working women with homes and wholesome food at a small cost to them”. Charles B. Webster, April 5, 1916.