Prospective Guest FAQs
Q: What are the requirements to apply for a room at The Webster?
A: Prospective and current guests must meet the below eligibility requirements to apply and maintain eligibility for housing:
- 18 years or older
- Employed as a worker or intern in NYC meeting allthe below requirements for their respective status:
- Working a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Earning an annual gross income between $30,000 – $85,000 (USD)
- Satisfactory results on the mandatory credit and background report run during the application process
- Interns (Trainees, Fellows, Clerks, etc.):
- Working a minimum of 28 hours per week
- Position may be paid or unpaid
- Note: undergraduate, graduate, and/or vocational students are not eligible to apply unlessthey also meet the working requirement of 28 hours per week.
Q: How do I apply?
A: Webster’s eligibility requirements, application process, and required documents vary slightly based on the applicant type (worker or intern). For more specific information on how to apply, please designate your applicant type on our eligibility requirements to see more information on the application process.
Q: How long does the application process take?
A: The application process and length of time to process applicants vary slightly on the applicant type (worker or intern). For more specific information on how to apply, please designate your applicant type on our eligibility requirements to see more information on the application process.
Q: What will I need to pay prior to check-in?
A: Prior to arrival, all applicants are required to pay their initial room & board (first 4-weeks) and the one-time amenity fee ($215).
- After submitting an application, all eligible applicants will be required to make a $500 payment towards their room & board balance to secure their reservation and receive a confirmation for their stay.
- The room & board balance plus the one-time amenity fee ($215) is due at least 8 weeks prior to check-in. For applicants with a check-in date within 8 weeks, this payment will be due immediately upon receiving a confirmation letter.
After the initial stay, your room & board will be due bi-weekly. Payments may be made using any of Webster’s accepted payment methods (see below).
Q: How does the check in process work?
A: Guests may check in any time after 3:00 p.m. Upon check in, visit the front desk to obtain your room key, ID, and Welcome Packet. Guests requiring a late check-in (after 9:00 p.m.) can obtain their room key from the security desk and visit the front desk the next day to complete their check-in. Guests who arrive earlier than 3p.m, can store their luggage at The Webster Apartments until their room is available.
Q: Can I have a refrigerator in my room?
A: Webster provides a full-service Dining Room for Guests to enjoy meals and snacks in addition to microwaves and ice bins in the Dining Room and on the Second Floor. We do not offer in-room refrigerators, nor do we allow you to bring a refrigerator to your room. The New York City Fire Department prohibits the use of any cooking equipment, including electric coffee pots and “hot pots,” in your room.
Q: What are your room & board rates?
A: Webster’s all-inclusive bi-weekly room & board rates are determined by the guest’s status (worker or intern). As full-time permanent workers fulfill our primary missions, their room and board rates are determined by the guest’s verified GROSS annual income during the application process, or, 6 weeks after check-in for workers with new job offer letters, using the below salary scale. Eligibility is extended to a secondary mission, full-time interns, whose rates are fixed to a flat rate. Please designate your applicant type on our eligibility requirements to see more information on the application process.
Q: Will my room and board rate change during my stay?
A: Once income is verified (during the application process or at the beginning of the guest’s stay), the guest’s room & board rate will remain in effect until Webster’s annual eligibility audit. During the annual audit, the guest’s rate may be adjusted based on the guest’s current salary, and/or, Webster’s cost of doing business.
Q: What is included in my rate?
A: All room & board rates include:
- Private, furnished Room
- Twin bed with linens, blanket and pillow, sink, dresser, closet, desk with chair, area rug, and a digital safe.
- Note: Towels are not supplied but may be purchased at the Front Desk upon arrival.
- 2 Daily Meals
- Electric, heat & water
- Building-wide Wi-Fi
Q: What is included in the one-time amenity fee?
All guests are required to pay a one-time fee for the below amenities:
- 24-hour Security
- Housekeeping Services
- Laundry Facilities
- Social & Professional Development Events
- Mail & Package Services
Q: How much notice do I need to give when I want to move out?
A: Guests are required to give a minimum of 8 weeks’ notice prior to departure by signing the checkout form at the Front Desk. Failure to provide 8 weeks’ notice prior to departure will result in a $600 penalty fee.
Final payment for any balance due for room & board or phone charges must be made two weeks prior to departure. A full copy of this policy inclusive of terms, conditions and fees can be requested from the Front Desk at any time during your stay.
Q: Are students eligible to apply for housing?
A: Prospective and current guests must meet one of our eligibility requirements. Undergraduate, graduate, and/or vocational students are not eligible to apply unless they also meet the eligibility requirements as a worker or intern.